The class meets Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 11:00am to 11:50am in PC-422.
This course is the third portion of the graduate microeconomic theory sequence.
- Andreu Mas-Colell, Michael Whinston, and Jerry Green, Microeconomic Theory, Oxford University Press, New York, 1995.
- I will also make a copy of my extensive micro theory notes available to the class.
Office Hours and Contact Info
Regular office hours are 1:00-2:30pm on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I will be happy to make an appointment for another time if that is more convenient. My office is DM-311A, my phone number is 305-348-3287, and my email is <email@example.com>.
Exams, Homework, and Class Participation
The in-class midterm is worth 30% of your grade. The final is worth 50% of your grade.
The mid-term was on Monday, October 14. Here are the answers.
The final was at 9:45am on Wednesday, Dec. 11 in our regular classroom. It covered material from the entire course. Here are the answers..
Sample Midterm Exams
Sample Final Exams
Homework and Class Participation
Homework assignments and class participation will count for the remaining 20% of your grade. Homework assignments will appear here as they are made.
- Problems 1.1, 1.6, 1.9, 1.13, 1.14, and 1.21 from the notes were due on Wednesday, Sept. 4. Click for answers.
- Problems 1.24, 1.27, 2.1, 2.6, and 2.13 from the notes were due on Friday, Sept. 13. Click for answers.
- Problems 2.17, 3.1, 3.5, 3.8, and 3.13 from the notes were due on Friday, Sept. 20. Click for answers.
- Problems 3.17, 3.19, 3.21, and 4.1 from the notes were due on Monday, Sept. 30. Click for answers.
- Problems 5.1, 5.4, 5.7, 5.8, and 5.13 from the notes were due on Monday, Oct. 7. Click for answers.
- Problems 7.3, 7.8, 8.1, 8.5, and 8.6 from the notes were due on Wednesday, Oct. 30. Click for answers.
- Problems 8.8, 10.1, 11.1, 11.4, and 11.6 from the notes were due on Wednesday, Nov. 13. Click for answers.
- Problems 12.1, 12.3, 12.4, and 12.8 from the notes were due on Monday, Nov. 25. Click for answers.
The tentative plan is to cover roughly a chapter per week. We will not cover all of the material in all of the chapters of Mas-Colell et al., but I may add material that is not in the book. The titles in parentheses are the corresponding chapters in the notes. I will periodically update the list to mention the sections covered.
- Chapter 1, Preference and Choice (Preference and Utility)
- Chapter 2, Consumer Choice (Marshallian Demand)
- Chapter 3, Classical Demand Theory (Demand: The Dual Approach)
- Chapter 4, Aggregate Demand (Market Demand)
- Chapter 5, Production (Production)
- Chapter 6, Choice under Uncertainty (Preferences under Uncertainty, Attitudes toward Risk)
- Chapter 15, General Equilibrium Theory: Some Examples (Competitive Equilibrium)
- Chapter 16, Equilibrium and Its Basic Welfare Properties (Existence of Equilibrium, Welfare Properties of Equilibrium)
- Chapter 17, The Positive Theory of Equilibrium (Properties of Equilibrium)
- Chapter 18, Some Foundations of Competitive Equilibrium (The Edgeworth Conjecture)
- Chapter 20, Equilibrium and Time (Capital Theory)
- Chapter 19, General Equilibrium under Uncertainty (Equilibrium under Uncertainty)
There are 3 scheduled holidays that affect our class. We will not meet on Labor Day (Monday, Sept. 2), Veteran's Day (Monday, Nov. 11), or during Thanksgiving Break (Friday, Nov. 29).