Published Tuesday, September 22, 1998, in the Miami Herald
From Herald Wire Services
Interpol asked to help probe 2 tourist
HAVANA -- Cuban authorities have asked Interpol for help in
investigating the fatal shooting of two Italian tourists last week at a
beach near Havana, the Italian Embassy said Monday.
The two men, about 30 years old, were apparently killed Sept. 14 and
their bodies were found two days later on the beach at Guanabo, the
spokesman said. She did not disclose their names.
HAVANA -- Guatemalan Vice President Luis Alberto
Flores Asturias left Cuba on Monday after a visit of nearly five days,
during which he spoke at length with President Fidel Castro.
HAVANA -- The Havana city assembly has urged ``a
more forceful response'' to growing crime in the capital, the weekly
newspaper Trabajadores reported Monday.
Reporters Without Borders, a group that defends
journalists, asked the French government on Monday to take up the case of
two jailed Cuban journalists during the visit to Paris by Cuban Vice
President Carlos Lage this week. The group said Bernardo Arevalo Padron of
the independent agency South Line Press was jailed for six years for
insulting President Fidel Castro and Paul Nuñez of the Cuban
Independent Press Bureau was given an 18-month sentence for insulting the
national police force.
Copyright © 1998 The Miami Herald