1. Go to your computer and access Professor Longoria’s asynchronous learning portal at http://www.fiu.edu/~longoria/self-p/ bookmark this site in your browser so you do not have to type this information every time. Click on Visit the Virtual Classroom Website. It is important that you take a tour (do not skip any page) of the Virtual Classroom to make sure that you understand how the course is organized before the semester gets any further. Not everyone may be suited to a course like this, if you have to make a change do it now. A good way to find out if you are suited for online courses is by doing the Self Evaluation for Potential Online Students administered by Illinois Online Network. It is highly recommended for students talking online courses by the first time.
2. Read the Course Contents and review its three components (Syllabus; Resources; and Course Plan) make sure you know what is in each node so you can easily access what you are looking for. Review the Course Contents several times during the semester so you keep in mind important requirements. Print the syllabus and keep its contents organized. Suggestion: buy a three-ring binder and build your own textbook with material from each unit. Assignments will be based upon the reading material and website so keep the notes well organized.
3. Visit the Participation Forum at least once a week. Review the posting by other students in the class since you are not allow to post the same news. You can get material for the Participation Forum from any of the online news channels. Visit the News Room periodically to be aware of notices posted by the instructor.
4. Review the Course Plan and mark on you calendar the deadlines for submitting work. Do not wait until the last minute to complete assignments and essays. There are not extension given in this course.
5. Start working on the course immediately, the sooner you get organized and learn to budget your time efficiently, the better off you will be in this course. You should start Section 1 immediately since there are two assignments that are due in two weeks. Here is a suggestion on how to handle your studying: From the homepage of the portal (http://www.fiu.edu/~longoria/self-p) click on your course, then click on the section you want to study. From the Section Plan click on the unit you want to view. Start by viewing the topics, then go to the activities and do all the required work, finally, open the abilities, which is the list of questions you need to answer in each unit and submit it as the corresponding assignment.
6.. The best way to effectively work in this class is to submit your work in advance, do not wait for the deadlines. Start by sending your Student Learning Agreement.
7.. Ask the instructor immediately if you have any questions about what is expected in the course. I will respond to e-mail as soon as possible. E-mail the instructor if you encounter any problems with the website
8. Check out the News Room regularly for updated information. Click on the data base page to check your grades periodically
9. Tell me what I can do to make the course operate more smoothly. Our perspectives on this course are different and I may not always realize that some aspects of the course are giving you trouble. Let me know immediately if some of the key hyperlinks don't work or if a particular site is not responding. The Web is a dynamic environment that is constantly changing so some links that work today may not work tomorrow. You will not be penalized for unexpected changes that occur in the web sites that could make it impossible to complete assignments.
in the self-pace modality you are in control of your own destiny. If you
work hard you will do well, if you do not make any effort you will do poorly.
You will have to be organized and exhibit self-discipline to be successful
in this course. No excuses.