(21) 1. BAYERN, Philipp Wilhelm von (1576-1598)
Birth. September 22, 1576, Münich. Second of the three sons of Wilhelm V, duke of Bayern (Bavaria), and Renée de Lorraine. Brother of Ferdinand von Bayern, archbishop of Cologne and elector of the Holy Roman Empire.
Education. University of Ingolstadt, Ingolstadt (philosophy and theology); studied together with his younger brother Ferdinand.
Early life. Canon of the cathedral chapters of Cologne, Mainz, Salzburg and Trier.
Sacred orders. Never ordained.
Episcopate. Postulated by the cathedral chapter of Regensburg, July 14, 1579; by apostolic brief, Feliciano Ninguarda, O.P., bishop of Scala, nuncio in Switzerland, was named administrator of the diocese, June 13, 1580; the chapter then elected him bishop on September 6, 1592, and the Holy See confirmed the nomination; on that same day, Andrea Fabrizio, protonotary apostolic, was named co-administrator (1). Went to Rome with his two brothers in 1592 at the request of his father; was received with honors and affection by the pope, the College of Cardinals and the ambassadors before the Holy See; in the presence of twenty eight cardinals delivered an elegant oration; was ascribed the Congregation for German affairs; after a few months, returned to Bavaria.
Cardinalate. Created cardinal deacon in the consistory of December 18, 1596 (2); never went to Rome to receive the red hat and the deaconry. In the solemn consecration of the Jesuit church in Münich, built by his father, delivered a grave e dotta homily; he preached and taught the people with his word as well as with his example (3).
Death. May 18, 1598, of the injuries sustained when he fell from a horse, in his father's castle in Dachau. Buried in the tomb of his ancestor in the collegiate church of S. Maria, Münich. (4)
Bibliography. Cardella, Lorenzo. Memorie storiche de' cardinali della Santa Romana Chiesa. Rome : Stamperia Pagliarini, 1793, VI, pp. 45-47; Chacón, Alfonso. Vitæ, et res gestæ Pontificvm Romanorum et S. R. E. Cardinalivm ab initio nascentis Ecclesiæ vsque ad Vrbanvm VIII. Pont. Max. 2 volumes. Romae : Typis Vaticanis, 1630, II, cols. 1893-1894; Eubel, Conradus and Gulik, Guglielmus van. Hierarchia Catholica Medii et Recentioris Aevi, Münich : Sumptibus et Typis Librariae Regensbergianae, 1935; reprint, Padua : Il Messagero di S. Antonio, 1960, III, 282; Gauchat, Patritium. Hierarchia Catholica Medii et Recentioris Aevi, Münich : Sumptibus et Typis Librariae Regensbergianae, 1935; reprint, Padua : Il Messagero di S. Antonio, 1960, IV, 5 and 291; Hausberger, Karl. "Philipp Wilhelm, Herzog von Bayern." Die Bischöfe des Heiligen Römischen Reiches, 1448 bis 1648 : ein biographisches Lexikon, pp. 534-535.
Links. His engraving; his family and brief biographical data, in German; and his genealogy, 2a, 5b.
(1) From 1587 to 1597, the administrator was Dr. Jakob Miller, a Swabian priest.
(2) His genealogy, linked above, indicates that he was created a cardinal in 1597.
(3) Cardella, Memorie storiche de' cardinali della Santa Romana Chiesa, VI, 46.
(4) This is the text of his epitaph on front of the monument that his brother Maximilian erected in his memory at the cathedral of Regensburg transcribed by Andrea Vittorelli in Chacón, Alfonso. Vitæ, et res gestæ Pontificvm Romanorum et S. R. E. Cardinalivm, II, col. 1894: PHILIPPO. GVIL. V. F. COMPALAT. RHENI. BOIORVM. DVCI. ECCLESIÆ. RATISB. ANTIST. ROM. CARD. PRINCIPI. INCOMPARABILI. ANTE. DIEM. MVLTA. TARE. CONFECTO. ET. EHEV. REBVS. HVMANIS. EREPTO. IN. SVMMA. FORTVNA. IN. ÆVI. FLORE. IN. INCREMENTO. HONORVM. MAGNO. PARENTVM. MAGNO. FRATRVM. SVORVMQ. LVCTV. ILLACRIMANTE. FVNERI. PATRIA. INGEMISCENTIBVS. EXTERIS. MÆSTIS. OMNIBVS. IRATIS. ORBI. SUPERIS. QVI. IN. HOC. PRINCIPE. OSTENDERE. QVANTVUM. BONVM. DARE. POSSENT. TERRIS. QVANTVM. DARENT. CÆLIS. DESIDERATISSIMO. FRATRI. MAXIMILIANVS. PRINCEPS. RERVM. IN. BOIA. POTENS. F. C. DECESSIT. XII. KAL. IVN. ANN. MDXCVIII. ÆT. XXII. This is the text on one side of the monument: VIATOR. QVID. ROGAS. QVIS. FVERIM. QVI. SIM. MAGIS. ROGA. EHEV. MAGNA. VMBRA. MAGNI. PRINCIPIS. HIC. IN. TENEBRIS. AGO. ET. IN PVRPVRA. CINEFIO. TV. QVID. SPERES. AH. VANI. SVMVS. ET. DVM. NON. SVMVS. ET. DVM. SVMVS. And on the other side: ET. ADHVC. HIC. VIATOR. INSEQVITVR. VT. TE. PREHENDAT. PALLIDVS. LICTOR. ABI. ET. VIDE. ANTEQVAM. SVPREMVM. OCVLI. CALIGENT. ET. CÆCVS. EHEV. ÆTERNVM. ERRES. QVOD. ERRARIS.
©1998-2014 Salvador Miranda.