CURRICULUM VITA (CV)
Dr. Steven Edward Mizrach
PhD, University of Florida (Anthropology)
9375 Fontainebleau Blvd. Apt. L-218
Miami, Fl. 33172
Phone (305) 554-5697/ FAX (SAME)
- The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD. B.A., Spring, 1992.
- The University of Florida, Gainesville, FL. PhD, Anthropology, August, 1999.
- Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS)
Intern, Fall 92 - Spring 93
Department of Anthropology, UF, Fall 94 - Spring 96
- MIS/Network Administrator
College of Business, BEBR Division, Fall 96 - Spring 97
Introduction to Cultural Anthropology, UF, Fall 98 - Spring 99
Florida International University Department of Sociology/Anthropology,
Nova Southeastern University Department of Social Science, Spring 00
Anthropology, cultural: specializations in sociology of knowledge; cognitive and psychological anthropology; anthropology of science, technology, and computing; visual anthropology.
Geographic areas of interest: Near East, Native North Americans (Plains, SW), Yucatan, Haiti
- Member, AAA Sections - Society for the Anthropology of Consciousness (SAC), Section for the study of Science, Technology, and Computing (CASTAC)
- Member, SfAA, Advanced Technology as a Cultural Process Working Group
GRANTS, CONTRACTS, AND FELLOWSHIPS
Bnai Brith Scholars Fellowship, awarded Fall 93
HONORS AND AWARDS
- William "Troy" Simmons Leadership Award, MSL, Spring 92
- Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society, inducted Fall 95
- Senior Thesis Project, Fall 91, "The Social Structure of the JHU Physics Community," Supervisor: Dr. Emily Martin.
- Masters research, Spring 95, "The Electronic Discourse of the Computer Underground," publishable paper in lieu of thesis
- Dissertation, August 99, "Natives on the Electronic Frontier: technology and cultural change on the Cheyenne River Sioux Reservation," published as ORTGE Electronic Thesis-Dissertation (ETD).
TEACHINGS AND COURSE OFFERINGS
- TA for Intro to Cultural Anthropology, ANT 2410, UF, Fall 98 - Spring 99
- Teaching ANT 4451/ SYD 4700, U.S. Racial and Ethnic Minorities, FIU, Spring 00
- "The Hackers Jargon: the Discourse of the Computer Underground," presented at the AAA, December 94
- "Advancing the Purposes of Anthropology through Electronic Media," SfAA meetings, March 95
- "Is There Music in (the) House?", Graduate Student Forum, UF, April 95
- "Whats Virtual about Virtual Culture?", AAA meetings, December 95
- "The Basis of the New Hacker Ethic," Florida Academy of Sciences (FAS) meeting, April 96
- "Natives on the Electronic Frontier," AAA meetings, December 98
- "Utopian Communities in the Symbolic Invention of America," Florida Journal of Anthropology, Summer 95
- "Genius or Madness? The biosocial theory of creativity," Public Sector, Fall 95.
- "TechGnosis," Computer-Mediated Communications Magazine, Spring 97
- "Iterative Discourse and the Formation of New Subcultures," SfAoC Journal, Fall 97.
- "Natives on the Electronic Frontier," in press
Maintain CyberAnthropology homepage, part of Cyberculture Studies webring, recognized as #1 in "Culture" category by I-Way Magazine
- "Alie(n)ation," short video (10 min.), shown at Margaret Mead Film Festival UF Student Video Exposition, February 96.
- "Dances with Technology," short video (15 min.), shown at Harm Film Festival, October 98.
- "Orange, Blue, and Out of Control: the UF Machine Intelligence Lab," short video (9 min.), shown at FUF Film Festival, April 99.
- Merida UF Field School/Exchange Program in the Yucatan, Summer 95
- Dissertation Fieldwork, Cheyenne River Sioux Reservation, Fall 97 - Spring 98
- Read/Write/Speak Spanish, Hebrew; Speak Lakota, Kreyol
- Good computer skills, esp. multimedia, web design, and networking
- Videography and video editing (linear and nonlinear)
- Text analysis/media content analysis
- Past President, Florida Anthropology Student Association
- Member, Re:WIRED (Workshop for the Invention and Research of Electronic Discourse), STATIC (electronic art collective)
- Representative, Graduate Student Council
- Past Volunteer, Civic Media Center, Free Radio Gainesville
- Past Editor-in-Chief, Florida Journal of Anthropology (FJA)
- Past President, Florida Audiovisual Organization (FLAVOR)
- Dr. Allan Burns, Committee Chair, also Dept. Chair of Anthropology, UF
- Dr. H. Russell Bernard, Dr. Norman Markel, Dr. John Moore, Dr. Gregory Ulmer, diss. Committee members, professors, UF
- Dr. J. Bryan Page (Chair, Anthropology, University of Miami); Dr. Stephen Fjellman (Chair, Sociology/Anthropology, FIU)