FIU PRSSA: William C. Adams Chapter
The Florida International University - William C. Adams Chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America (FIU PRSSA) has been active since 1989. FIU PRSSA, which was established with the help of the Miami Chapter of PRSA and has currently grown to more than 50 members, is an organization that helps students develop their public relations skills, network with public relations practitioners, obtain internships and ultimately become successfully employed in the field.
Within the past decade, FIU PRSSA chapter has won many awards for its achievements including PRSSA Pacesetter Award, FIU Student Life Award, Advisor of the Year, Finalist for Chapter of the Year, and multiple recognitions for PRSSA/PRSA Relationship Month Activities. In 2008, FIU PRSSA launched a branding campaign to reposition its status within FIU's School of Journalism and Mass Communications. Throughout the fall semester, our chapter grew over 150 percent with over thirty new members. We are one of FIU's premier professional organizations for students to build professional relationships and expand their hands-on experience and knowledge.
FIU PRSSA Mission Statement
- To enhance our members' practical knowledge of PR by creating hands on projects that promotes their professional development.
- To create networking opportunities for our members to interact with PR professional in South Florida, and act as liaison between PRSSA members and National/Local PRSA Chapters.
In 1968, 20 years after its own establishment, the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) founded the Public Relations Student Society of America. Today, The Public Relations Student Society of America has more than 9,600 members in 284 universities across the country.The declared purpose of PRSSA is to cultivate a favorable and mutually advantageous relationship between students and professional public relations practitioners.
The student society aims to foster the following:
- Understanding of current theories and procedures of the profession
- Appreciation of the highest ethical ideals and principles
- Awareness of an appropriate professional attitude
- Appreciation of Associate Membership in PRSA and eventually accredited membership
PRSSA Mission Statement
To serve our members by enhancing their knowledge of public relations and providing access to professional development opportunities; to serve the public relations profession by helping to develop highly qualified, well-prepared professionals.