The Office of Employee Assistance is the faculty/staff employee assistance program of Florida International University. The OEA provides confidential, professional assistance to help employees and their families resolve personal problems that affect their personal lives or job performance. The mission of the program is to enhance the quality of life of FIU faculty and staff; improve personal and organizational effectiveness; and create a healthier campus community by providing mental health assessment and referral, group development facilitation, and educational and training programs.
In keeping with the mission of creating a healthier community, on July 14th the Office of Employee Assistance sponsored an hour-long “Financial Fitness” seminar presented by Jimmy Gonzalez, the Chapter President of the South Florida Society for Financial Awareness. Mr. Gonzalez spoke about basic principles of cash management during economic hard times. He covered topics such as developing a “financial blueprint,” and strategies to reduce debt and protect credit scores. The following sessions are scheduled to be held at the University Park campus in the University Health Services Center, Room 230:
Wed., Sept. 10, 2008
Getting “Fiscally” Fit
- Basic principles of cash management
- Accumulating wealth
- Locating & maximizing discretionary income
- The importance of having a financial blueprint
- Roadblocks to financial success
Wed., Oct. 8, 2008
Financial Blunders - Financial Resolutions
- When and how to deal with stock and stock options.
- How to “preserve” and “protect” our assets against a plunging market.
- The bank: is it really the place to “save” money?
- How truly naïve we are in understanding the market. . . Great opportunities, great risks.
- How to avoid losing up to 40% of your retirement plan on the day you walk away.
Wed., Nov. 12, 2008
Exploring Options for a Quality Retirement
- Why plan design is critical
- Understand the impact of erosion through inflation & taxation
- Looking at your options at distribution time from a company retirement plan
- Proper steps in reviewing 401K performance
To sign up for an upcoming seminar, please call or email the OEA director, Dr. Kate Kominars at Kominars@fiu.edu or 305-348-2469. Additional sessions can be scheduled at the Biscayne Bay Campus upon request.
Please look for other opportunities throughout the year to collaborate with the Housing and Residential Life team as we strive to make residents feel at home and encourage them to LIVE – LEARN - EXCEL.